Following the success of the playlist Katie P did for us back in October, we asked her to put another one together for us for December. Check out the music Katie picked for this month:
01. Rolo Tomassi – Ex Luna Scientia: The first single off the band’s latest album Astraea – which was released on the band’s own label Destination Moon in November. Vocalist Eva Spence recently did a photoshoot for MTV wearing a superb selection of Fred Perry gear. What a rock star!
02. Pulled Apart By Horses – Epic Myth: The amazing PABH will be releasing a special collection of rarities and B-sides on December 10 called Tough Love Sessions. A demo of Epic Myth features on this release – a proper hip-shaking belter to enjoy over this festive season!
03. Blitz Kids – Never Die: Another corker from the British melodic rock lads, taken from their latest six-track EP of the same name. The band are currently recording their next album with the legendary John Feldmann (Papa Roach, Black Veil Brides, All Time Low). I cannot wait!
04. Deftones – Leathers: Another amazing album from Deftones (Koi No Yokan) and another leap forward for modern rock music. The ever-evolving legends sound better than ever!
05. Exit Ten – Sunset. One of my favourite British rock bands with a truly distinctive sound. This single release (originally from 2011 album Give Me Infinity) even features a special cover of Soundgarden’s Black Hole Sun among its four-track package. Brave!
06. The Ghost Of A Thousand – Knees, Toes, Teeth: This incredibly originally, technically astounding Brighton metal crew sadly split up in 2011, but I was lucky enough to watch a (kinda) one-off reunion show when they supported Alexisonfire at Brixton Academy earlier this month. Amazing.
07. Gallows – Outsider Art: Taken from the band’s self-titled album out earlier this year, this tune perfectly demonstrates the bold new sound adopted by the band since the arrival of former AOF guitarist Wade MacNeil on vocals. More melodic, more dynamic yet no less ferocious.
08. The Ghost Inside – This Is What I Know About Sacrifice: Proper heavy, stodgy, beefy metal from the band’s 2012 album Get What You Give. For fans of Hatebreed, Parkway Drive and Obey The Brave.
09. Verses – The Sound: One of my favourite ‘new’ bands of the last few years, I am now classified as 100% superfan and know every word to every song. The band’s latest EP Come To Life came free with an issue of Rock Sound Magazine earlier this year.
10. Tonight Alive – Little Lion Man: Australian pop punk titans (well, nearly) who will playing around the UK in February as part of the Kerrang! Tour. This cover of the Mumford & Sons anthem was originally featured on a Punk Goes Pop compilation, and is now a live favourite. Enjoy!
Katie P is a rock journalist, club DJ and radio presenter who works for Kerrang! Radio, and has previously leant her pen and voice to NME.com, Metal Hammer, Radio One and XFM. With 10 years experience in the biz as a new music scout and reporter, she’s driven to give smaller bands a leg up into the competitive world of rock ‘n’ roll.
Follow Katie P on Twitter at @KatieParsons