It's that time of year again when music labels release exclusive material on vinyl or other hard to come by media, artists play intimate in-store shows, and every passionate crate-digger heads down to their local record shop to hunt for a shiny piece of sleeved treasure.
Record Store Day 2014 takes place this Saturday 19th April across the globe, and is the biggest yet, with hundreds and hundreds of exclusive releases and reissues filling up shops over the weekend.
To help discover the diamonds in the rough, Fred Perry Subculture has listed five top releases this weekend... Find your local participating store here.
1. First up, US punk band Radkey will release their limited edition “9 Lives at the 100 Club” cassette which includes over 10 songs recorded live on the punk band’s U.K. tour at the sold out 100 Club show.
2. Second in our list is all-girl Manchester band PINS, who will release 500 copies of "Shoot You/Eleventh Hour" on heart-shaped vinyl via Bella Union. Watch their live performance of 'Shoot You' at Dot to Dot festival last year below.
3. Our next recommendation is the Jagwar Ma / Temples 12-inch split. We are huge fans of both these artists at Fred Perry Subculture, and the recent Temples remix of Jagwar Ma's track 'Man I Need' sounds quite simply, superb.
4. Of course we wouldn't miss out mentioning the Specials 7" Vinyl limited edition single ‘Sock It To ‘Em, JB/Rat Race’. This will be released on the Two Tone Records label and features two previously unreleased dub mixes created at the time of the ‘More Specials’ mixing sessions by John ‘Brad’ Bradbury (Sock It To ‘Em, JB) and Jerry Dammers (Rat Race).
5. Our final recommendation is the 7" vinyl for Suede’s 'lost single' "Let Go" released exclusively for Record Store Day, having never previously been pressed onto vinyl.
As well as record releases, Sheffield artist, Pete Mckee is pleased to reveal a brand new painting from his latest body of work ‘Thud, Crackle, Pop!’ as part of Record Store Day 2014. A champion of vinyl, Pete will be playing a vinyl-only DJ set at The Harley in Sheffield this Saturday. Can you spot all six sleeves in it?
Other tasty releases & reissues worth mentioning are the Ltd Ed,"Live and Inconsolable" live album from The Computers, the Jake Bugg Live EP, the Tame Impala live versions, Standells - 'Dirty Water', The Animals, a reissue of the Velvet Underground's Loaded, and Joy Division's first-ever release An Ideal for Living.